Why study at our institute?
- Cologne is a center of sociology in Germany and internationally, being home to the Institute of Sociology and Social Psychology (ISS), the GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences, and the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies (MPIfG). Researchers of the MPIfG and of GESIS contribute to our study program, in particular by offering courses in economic sociology (MPIfG) and political sociology (GESIS).
- The BA and MA programs offer courses in both sociology and social psychology.
- Both programs offer introductory and advanced courses on a great variety of topics, such as ageing and health, sociology of the family, education, labor markets, economic sociology, political sociology, poverty, welfare, migration and integration, prosocial and antisocial behavior, crime and deviance, social networks, social psychology, and sociological theories.
- The emphasis on quantitative methods of empirical research will equip students with key qualifications in data collection and analysis that are increasingly demanded and rewarded on the labor market.
- The BA program will equip you with basic knowledge and competencies in micro- and macroeconomics. While this requires you to take a preparatory mathematics course, this investment into basic analytical skills will pay-off in your study of research methods, economic sociology or a potential consecutive Master program as well as add to your labor market profile.
- Cologne is a leading center of the social sciences and offers many opportunities for practical experiences in private and public research institutes.
- There are interesting opportunities for spending time abroad at the Bachelor and Master level, e.g., exchange programs with Utrecht University
- Finally, Cologne is simply a great city to study in.
Unique advantages of our MA program
Special characteristics of our MA progam Sociology and Empirical Research are:
- Unique Combination of Research and Teaching in Sociology and Social Psychology : Our progam offers a unique combination of both fields of study. This interdisciplinary perspective creates innovative and cutting-edge knowledge that will benefit your studies.
- Germany’s exclusive Master in Sociology totally taught in English: The only Master in Sociology in Germany that is completely available in English. You do not have to prove German language knowledge if you want to apply for this program (English language certificate is necessary).
- “Fast Track” Option: Easy access to PhD-programs at Cologne Graduate School: If you attend specific research-focused courses during our MA program, you can reduce the coursework at our Graduate School in case you pursue a PhD.